Sunday, November 11, 2007

The Origin of the Zip Code

I work with very special young people in a Life Skills program at a local high school. They love me and I love them. They love me so much, in fact, that they're always in my personal space, hovering around my desk and touching all of my stuff. I'd no sooner get up from my big, cushy rolly chair, and somebody would be in it. They would put their stuff in my drawers and take my stuff out. I can never get mad at my kids. They're way too cute! And they know it. Some of them don't get the concept of boundaries very well at all, you see. So one day, after the umpteenth Dollar Store cute thing on my desk got knocked over and broken, I started to define my boundaries. Well, it didn't work so well.

I took masking tape and placed a square around my desk and told them that if they wanted to come inside the line, they had to ask first. It didn't work at all.

I borrowed crime scene tape from the Forensics teacher and put it around my desk. Big waste of crime scene tape, that was.

One day we were discussing how to pay bills and mail letters. We were learning to write addresses on envelopes. We got to the Zip Code part and how each area has its own unique Zip Code. If you get it wrong, your letter might not be delivered.

Well, I don't know what came over me, but I told them that the area around my desk was my Zip Code. I even put up a sign with the Zip Code for Joshua, Texas. It's the only Texas Zip Code I know, and since I'm moving there one of these days, I figured...............Oh, never mind.

I have no idea why, but all of a sudden, the kids started asking me if they could come inside the Zip Code. They even stayed out of my big cushy chair. I had to start giving them permission to enter the Zip Code, and when I'd tell them to leave the Zip Code, they would. Without question. It's amazing!

So now I have groups that come back to the Zip Code for math, reading and science. I have kids who just want to talk come on back to the Zip Code. I allow our student aids to use the Zip Code when I'm not. And none of my Dollar Store cute things have gotten broken, either.

We have populated the Zip Code with all sorts of wonderful creatures, too. We have dancing donkeys, mischievous monkeys and wacky wildebeests. There's also a mysterious dog who never honors the five second rule. There are also several dinosaurs and at least six camels.

Jesus has also been known to visit the Zip Code wearing a purple robe and purple sparkly flip flops. He brings along his wife, Edith, and their eight children. Twins are on the way.

But that's another story altogether..........................................................................................................

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Okay Chris! We're ready to learn more about your zip code....

Love your stories!!